Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cajun Chicken & Rice


I've come to realize that most of the time when I cook dinner, it's always the same thing or some variation of it. Spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, take out. I guess I'm just afraid of trying new things because I am a picky eater, and Mike doesn't like anything that doesn't have meat as the main ingredient.

I have a bunch of chicken cutlets in my freezer so I hopped on Pinterest and got some ideas for what to do with it. I ended up with a Cajun Chicken and Rice dish.
I don't have Cajun spice on hand so I had to mix up my own, it's fairly simple and uses some staple spice cabinet spices.

After combining the spices and chopping up the chicken breast I mixed the two and threw them in a pot to brown.

After the chicken browned I removed it and added some frozen peppers and onions to same pan and sautéed them.

Mean while I was cooking up a box of Zataran's Spanish Rice with added Rotel.

Once the rice was cooked, I added everything together in the same pot.

Added a few handfuls of cheese and mixed everything together.

It was very spicy! But it was good :] Mike and the roommate gobbled it up.
 
This recipe is extremely flexible!
Ingredients:
Cajun Spice mix
Any type of rice - cooked to directions.
Chicken breasts - diced.
Onions & Peppers - fresh or frozen.
Cheese  - any variety.

Directions:
Toss the diced chicken in the spice mix. Cook rice according to directions on package. Brown until cooked through and remove from pot. Sautee onions and peppers in the same pot the chicken was in. When rice is cook combine all ingredients and enjoy :]

No comments:

Post a Comment