Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Breakfast Casserole

I'm sure you've heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? I live for breakfast, I can eat breakfast food any time of the day and be a happy woman.
I've recently discovered this wonderful thing called a breakfast casserole. They are so easy to make and there are tons of different variations you can make.
The possibilities are endless!
My husband is a meat lover, so my go to is a sausage and potato breakfast casserole. I make one almost every weekend and it lasts all week to bring left overs to work.
Frozen ingredients are quick & easy.
 I usually buy bags of frozen peppers, onions and hashbrowns so I can whip this casserole up at any time.
 I saute the peppers and onions until they are soft and then set them a side.
 Next I brown up the sausage, drain, and they combine with peppers and onions in a casserole dish.

 I  add the still frozen hashbrowns to the sausage mixture and then move on the the eggs.
My secret weapon!
 A couple of years ago I watched my mother make some omelettes for family who stayed over. I noticed she was putting the eggs into a blender before putting them into the pan. At first I thought it was just a quicker way to scrabble all those eggs. Little did I know it would change the way I made eggs forever.
I will NEVER scramble eggs by hand EVER AGAIN. Even when it's just scrabbled eggs for myself. Whipping them up in the blender makes them so light and fluffy. I use the single serve attachment for my Ninja when I'm just making a few eggs, but when I make the casserole I pull out the big guy.
I add all my eggs and a nice amount of salt and pepper to the blender. I hit the blend button and just let it go for at least 30 seconds. You're looking for a nice frothy finish. Pour it over the sausage and top with cheese.
 I give it a quick stir before tossing it in the oven just.


Once it's set, pull it out of the oven, slice it up and devour!
I'm a huge fan of hot sauce on my eggs so i topped mine with some Chipotle Tabasco.

What's your favorite breakfast combination?

INGREDIENTS:

You really can't go wrong here, add whatever you like! Here's what I used...

1 lbs ground sausage
1/4 C frozen chopped onions
1/4 C frozen chopped peppers
2 C frozen hashbrowns
18 eggs
Shredded cheese
Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Saute onions and peppers over medium heat until cooked through, set aside.
2. In the same pan brown your sausage. I like to sprinkle salt & pepper in while it is browning.
3. Once the sausage is cooked, add it along with the cooked onions and peppers to a 13x9 baking dish. (you'll wan't to grease this first)
4. Scramble your eggs! I throw mine into my Ninja Blender and whip them up until they are nice and frothy. I also like to add more salt & pepper to the eggs while in the blender.
5. Pour the eggs into the baking dish and top with cheese. Give it a little mix and throw it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the center is set.
6. ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment